This cinema opened on 3rd March 1910. The proprietor was Montagu Pyke; the name of the architect is unknown. The seating capacity was originally 900, later reduced to 763.
After Pyke was made bankrupt in 1915 his theatre chain was sold off and the Cinematograph Theatre was renamed the Palladium. It was remodelled by the architect J. Stanley Beard in 1923 and reopened in November 1923 as the New Palladium. A small Compton organ was installed in 1930. By 1946 the word "New" had been dropped and it was being operated by Southan Morris who subsequently sold it to Essoldo in June 1955, when it was renamed Essoldo.
The Essoldo was closed on 24th June 1968 for modernisation with metal cladding on the exterior. The interior was gutted and modernised. Just a few weeks before reopening the building caught fire and even the large Odeon next door had to be evacuated. The Compton organ was damaged and removed for scrap. The fire damage was repaired and the Essoldo reopened on 12th June 1969 as "London's Latest Luxury Cinema" with the film Boom. Seating capacity was 500.
The Essoldo circuit was taken over by Classic Cinemas and so from 1st April 1972 the cinema became the Classic. A year later to the day it was taken over by the Rank Organisation and the name changed to Odeon 2, with the seating reduced to 487. It closed on 17th October 1981 with the films Alien and The Fog.
The building lay empty for several years until it was eventually converted into a theme pub called The Bottom Line, which opened in August 1993. This lasted for only a couple of years before it was taken over by the Walkabout chain of "Australasian" bars. The building stands next door to the famous Shepherds Bush Empire theatre.
The above information was kindly supplied by Ken Roe of the Cinema Theatre Association